Written by Geraldine Granahan, Preservation Assistant for the McKim, Mead & White Architectural Record Collection.
Recently the staff of the library and conservation department spent a fun afternoon in our conservation laboratory attending a workshop on the process of making cyanotypes, or as they are more commonly known -- blueprints (so called because they contain the pigment Prussian Blue).
The pigment itself has an interesting history, having been discovered by accident in or around 1704, when a...Read More
This post was written by Alison Barr, Manuscript Department volunteer
With the advent and popularity of NASCAR in America, long forgotten is New York’s road racing circuit in the tradition of the European Grand Prix. Between the two wars, in 1934, the Collier Brothers (Barron, Samuel and Miles) and Thomas Dewart founded The Automobile Racing Club of America (ARCA). Besides driving in these events, Thomas Dewart (who would go on to become the president and publisher...Read More
This post was written by Nora Slominsky, New-York Historical Society Graduate Archival Research Fellow
A key figure in the politics of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Rufus King was a powerful Federalist senator, diplomat, and attorney. In his very limited spare time, he also built and maintained one of the largest personal libraries in the Early Republic. This collection, consisting of approximately 3,500 pieces, remains largely intact at the New-York Historical Society. Donated by King’s descendants in...Read More
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024