This post was written by Margaret Kaczorowski, an archivist processing New-York Historical Society’s institutional archives on a project generously funded by the Leon Levy Foundation.
Summer afternoon — summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language. ― Henry James
Summer is in full swing, and it is at this time that many folks journey out to beaches both in the city and out in Long Island to relax with family, friends, explore, or simply read a good book. The Hamptons in Long Island especially have attracted many people for decades to its shores and summer homes, including N-YHS, which maintained a presence in the East Hampton area during the summer months of the 1940s. The story of this public programming initiative is revealed in documents from the institutional archive’s General Correspondence record group (call number NYHS-RG 2).These records shed light on how a satellite museum operated during the early 20th century. In addition to correspondence, the archive consists of legal and financial documents, attendance records, utility statements, architectural drawings, and exhibition brochures related to the Long Island venture.
In 1941, N-YHS purchased property located on Ocean Avenue in East Hampton, Long Island, that had belonged to the estate of benefactor Charles G. Thompson, who had purchased the property in 1893 from the Satterthwaite Estate. N-YHS used the property as a satellite museum that operated during the summer and served as a memorial to the Thompson family. The Thompsons are particularly important to N-YHS’s history as it was a multi-million dollar bequest from the family in the 1930s that led to the expansion of N-YHS’s building, programs, and professional staff, and set the institution’s course into the mid to late twentieth century. The East Hampton house was a two and a half story, semi-colonial dwelling containing 16 rooms and three baths, and the two acre property included a barn. N-YHS named the house the Thompson Homestead Memorial, and opened it as an extension of the main institution dedicated to American history. On July 25, 1942, a dedication ceremony was held and welcomed East Hampton Mayor Judson L. Banister, N-YHS President George Zabriskie, N-YHS Director Alexander J. Wall, and many N-YHS staff and friends of the Society. According to the brochure distributed during the dedication, the
. . . Memorial is offered as a Homestead Museum in appreciation of the philanthropy of the Thompson family in contributing so much to the educational program of the New-York Historical Society . . .
The museum was only open from May to early October since heating it during the winter was too costly in wartime. Over the years, several caretakers (usually married couples) maintained the property. They would submit attendance records, donations to the museum, and concerns about the property or grounds to N-YHS’s Director, Alexander J. Wall. The superintendent of N-YHS at the time, Garrett H. Winter, often visited the homestead and wrote reports on his observations. In 1944, Katherine S. Wellenkamp was hired as Curator of the Thompson Homestead Memorial, and in addition to her curatorial duties, Ms. Wellenkemp promoted the museum in the local paper, the East Hampton Star, and area hotels. She established professional relationships with local institutions including the East Hampton Historical Society, and wrote often of the “delightful surroundings.” The museum had several rooms dedicated to various themes, such as the Room of Household Arts and Crafts and the Room of Fashions. Other objects included paintings and sculptures of several founders of the country. The museum attracted locals and “out-of-towners” to its collections and exhibitions, with themes such as “Early New York” and “costumes and relics of American Indians.” Children and students visited regularly, and the museum also served as a meeting place for the East Hampton Women’s Club, the Mother’s Club of East Hampton, and Girl Scouts (who were served cookies and drinks during their stay).
Despite the average summer attendance being close to 800 people, the N-YHS Board felt the museum was “off the beaten path,” and the numbers were too low to continue to keep the house open due to rising costs. In 1946 N-YHS finally made the decision to sell the home by the waters.
For further reading:
R.W.G. Vail, Knickerbocker Birthday: A Sesqui-Centennial History of The New-York Historical Society, 1804-1954 (New York: New-York Historical Society, 1954), 259-260.
New-York Historical Society, The Thompson Homestead Memorial: A Museum Devoted to American History (East Hampton, N.Y., 1942).